Tell me what it is you want to do with your one wild and precious life? -mary oliver

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Happiness



Happiness...it's something that lives inside us, and spews out when we choose, or spontaneously, whatever your pleasure.

Andy has always said I'm excited by the little things...a new pack of Sharpie markers that are to die for, a fountain Diet Coke, or when he's scammed the perfect deal for a quick getaway.


These days, happiness is seeing my children, love and embrace one another.  Sarah was so happy when her brother and sister came home from their "weekend family vacation" with their cousins.  At our half-way meeting place, she pointed at them and smiled when they walked in the door.  And then, Addy was glued by her side, loving like only a big sister can do.

The house whispered this past weekend, and the silence was unnerving to Sarah.  She didn't know what to do with herself.  But, now they are home and she's back to her mischief and expectations of being waited on like the Queen herself.

 While I should have been cleaning up the kitchen after dinner, I thought, "Dishes can wait.  These moments won't." And so I grabbed my camera, enjoyed watching Sarah run through the house, elated and throw herself in my lap for a hug and kiss.



 After a doctor's appointment, I looked in my rearview mirror, and saw this. 

She was a trooper in the office, and couldn't stay awake any longer.  But, when I pulled into the next parking lot, she woke up.
Disclaimer:  these where not taken while I was driving!

Sometimes, I wonder how I was blessed to be chosen as the mama of three wonderful, active kids.  How was I chosen to travel around the globe, bring this fairy home, and give her a family?

  I was asked today by an interpreter,"Did we choose to adopt a child with Down syndrome?"

Yes, we did and we've never looked back.  She's one of us and will forever be a part of our family.

That's what true happiness is. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Sarah has settled right in and is loving life in your family- and vice versa!

    It's amazing how our perspective suddenly changes when we stop and play with our little ones, or even take pictures of them! It's like magic!

    ReplyDelete