Tell me what it is you want to do with your one wild and precious life? -mary oliver

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Name Game


 How do you choose a name?  Our family and friends have a tradition that you take one letter and name your children from that letter.  Addyson and Austin were named from that very tradition.  But, when it came to our little princess, an A name wasn't fitting.  Our family sat in our library throwing out names, but we still couldn't agree.  At her Great-Grandmother's birthday celebration, Addy took my notebook and pen and began a list of names she liked from A-Z:)  She did a pretty good job:) 

    Over the weekend, I kept coming back to the name Sarah.  It didn't fit with our "tradition", but then neither do I.  Everyone in our family has the same initials, except me.  The kids were desperate to have a name, and Andy liked Sarah with an H.   We found a name!!!  Then, I began reflecting on why this name was to be our daughter's name.  That, in itself, is more powerful and more meaningful than the name.  

The name Sarah is a result of the many Sarah's that came before ours and paved a path.

    *Sara was the little 3rd grader, who made an impact on me and started the "red thread" that linked our families together.

    *Sara has the same birthday as our little Sarah, in Eastern Europe.

    *Sarah B from http://angeleyesadoption.blogspot.com/ was kind enough to answer some questions over the summer that began charting our path to adoption.   She wrote about her experience, she wrote from her heart, and she wrote to make a difference.  She never realized the difference she was making  until recently. 

    *When we first announced we were adopting on our blog, we called her "Our Little Princess."  The meaning of Sarah is Princess.

The most important reason of all:
    *Sarah, from  My Name is Sarah http://sarahely8989.blogspot.com/.  I found this blog over the summer and kept coming back to it.  Sarah is 21 with Down Syndrome who blogs about her life, her hobbies, and more recently  her job at the family's quilt store.  Sarah is an inspiration to the endless possibilities that Our Sarah, Bridget, Alina, Zoya, Nadia, Joquain, Sofia, and other special needs children can achieve.  She gives hope to everyone around her.  Her favorite fabric designer even flew into Cleveland for the grand opening of their store.  She made a difference in my life, and the life of our family.  One day, I will travel to Cleveland with our Sarah to meet the Sarah from Jellen's Fabric Store who made a difference!  What a reunion that will be:)

Our Sarah will be rich with love, rich with a heritage of those who came before her, and rich in the meaning of how her name was chosen.  That is all that matters!!!

Sarah



 

15 comments:

  1. Wow. Good choice. Great namesakes she has :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is beautifull, and just looking at her picture with her name added, i think it suits her so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finding a name that has meaning and fits so well! She looks like a Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name Sarah! I think it fits your little princess perfectly. Congratulations on taking one more step towards bringing her home to her forever family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our family is truly speechless. Thank you so much for the kind words. We wish you much happiness and joy as you add your Sarah to the family. We shall one day soon have a very joyous reunion as our girls meet. Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah has also made a difference in our lives as well. Both Sarah and her mother have been an inspiration to me. And your Sarah is also beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to thank you for your post...having known Sarah (from the My name is Sarah blog) since she was born, I can truly say what an incredible impact she has had on my life. I can only hope that your Sarah lightens up your family's life in the same powerful, meaningful way! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog the other day just by chance, Sarah is beautiful and so is the name, my little girl (with DS) who is 2 has another version of Sarah, her name is Saira, it also means princess. Your Sarah will bring you the kind of joy and happiness hard to describe, your life will never be the same and I can't wait to follow you on this journey. Sarah is absolutely adorable, you are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. Sarah from My Name is Sarah and her mom, Joyce, are inspirations to me too. It is a beautiful name with wonderful associations...and your Sarah is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah has touched so many of our lives, she is a beautiful young woman. What a wonderful connection the "two" Sarah's will have!

    And both so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautiful post about how you decided on her name. Sarah Ely is such an inspiration to us too.
    Thankful sweet Sarah will be in your home soon. I have seen her sweet face on RR many times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love this. Beautiful namesake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful post about how you named your beautiful daughter - sarah (from cleveland) is such an inspiration (as are her parents and brothers) and your sarah will be just as wonderful :) congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. BEAUTIFUL! I love this name. My sister is named Sarah. Oh it's just a perfect name for her!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete