Tell me what it is you want to do with your one wild and precious life? -mary oliver

Friday, September 3, 2010

The Red Thread Part Three

I had one day before I was to report for school because teachers report a whole week before kids.    August 16th, I woke up with the most horrendous sinus headache ever.  It was a record high for seasonal allergies, and while I've never been "diagnosed", I tend to have the sneezing, stuffiness associated with them.  This  headache/dizziness was something new.  I could barely lift my head up, but was determined to get things rolling in the next 24 hours.  After numerous emails to Andrea, we decided to proceed with the home study.  I emailed a quick question to Lisa about a home study referral.  She was shocked and surprised because we hadn't talked much since the initial time.  I wrote a quick note saying Andy was ready to commit and needed to get the home study begun.  I sent emails to the agency, ran some quick errands for medication, and then took a nap. 

A few events proceeded over the next few hours that sent us from a mountaintop high to low valley.  Both Andy and I talked long and hard about our commitment to a child, and we were going to focus on what areas we can control.  That's all we can do.  Live day to day.  It's a lesson we are going to use throughout this adoption process and the life with our new child. The next day at school, Lisa called me and I learned much on the adoption process and protocals, and she would help behind the scenes.  I felt so much at peace, but we still needed to find a child.  Who would our little girl be?  We hadn't told our children yet, because it would be hard for them to understand without a picture or a child to call our own.

Over the next week, Andy and I processed on our own.  Our home study agency returned our call and sent us all the paperwork information.  We began working and focusing on that part.  I spent numerous hours at night on that part of the process.  We kept looking at the listings for a child, but could not decide.  There are so many...  Lisa sent me emails filled with information, special blog postings, and a referral for Jessie (23). 

That following Monday, Andy and I talked about Jessie.  I sent emails asking about her, and he emailed Andrea to see if anyone was committing to her.  He called and emailed me at work to say no one had inquired.  I ran home from work and we went to get our commitment papers notarized and sent off.  We were going to be Jessie's forever family!!!  What is even more special is that she has the same birthday as Sara, the little 3rd grader who brought our families together.  Our red thread is closer than ever and will continue to stay close.

I could not have written a more powerful story.  This is a story of love, a story of making a difference, and a story of understanding that everything has a purpose.  It is a complete leap of faith, one we are jumping in fully knowing this is the journey we need to take.   Going through the disappointments last spring were heartbreaking, but I needed them to put me at that moment the last day of school.  A friend last spring told me, "God's got something bigger and better planned for you."  Was he ever right!!!

P.S
I am blessed that if  I do not have a meeting at school in the mornings, I rush downstairs at 8:45am to watch Bridget and Alina get off the bus and walk into school. Last Tuesday, Alina was waving at everyone as they came in.  What precious little girls!!!!

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your journey!!! We adopted a little boy with Down syndrome just over a year ago. You will NEVER regret it!!!! Found your blog from 'Saving Sofia'. Can't wait to follow along :)
    http://www.twodogsandafish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you - Jessie is a beautiful little girl, and I was just thrilled to see her find her family!

    We brought home Lilya this summer, and it was the most amazing adventure.

    Congrats - and good luck! It's a long journey, but SO WORTH IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We found your blog thru Saving Sophia! So happy for you and Jessie! We have been praying for her to find a family for the last 6 months. We considered her and Alina before we committed to Magda and Arianna. Now we are leaving a week from Monday to UA and we are so excited to see our girls! Praying you might consider bringing Alina home as well! They would make great sisters!! See my post..... http://bringinghomeourgirls.blogspot.com/2010/07/this-little-girl-who-is-only-4-years.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shelly, I also found your blog through "Saving Sophia" and am excited to follow on your journey. Our red thread started much the same as yours and we are bringing home a boy from Hong Kong with Ds hopefully in NOVEMBER!! I also work as a nurse and have no doubt that we can do this! So excited for you. :)
    Amy
    www.AllenTablefor5.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratullations Shelly !!! I have been praying for little Jessie to find her family. I am so glad for her and your family !! I am also a fan of Loving Alina, Bridget's Light, Angel Eyes, and Seeing the Up Side of Down. What an inspirational and amazing group of women they are !!!
    Cannot wait to follow your journey !
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very excited to see you start your process! I'm Leah, mom to 14 year old Angela who has DS. We're also in the process of adopting from EE, and are right smack dab in the middle of our homestudy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is wonderful to see another central Ohio family connected to Reece's Rainbow. We are adopting Yana. Congratulations!

    www.savinganangel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh!!!!!! I am SO SO SO excited! :) I was sweet Jessie's "Warrior" for National Down Syndrome day back in March!!!!! I blogged about her and a few of my dear friends donated to her adoption fund! :) I check on her every once in a while hoping and praying that she's gone from the waiting child list and it has FINALLY happened!!! I am SO SO SO happy! :) :) Thanks so much for going after her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are in awe of the outpouring of support from this community, completely in awe. Merany, in March I would never have dreamed we were going go down this path. Thank you for praying for her and advocating for her You made a difference!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so thrilled that dear Jessie is your Princess!
    My heart has ached for this little girl, ( to be honest i hoped we would be her family ;) )
    I can't wait to read the post about her name
    ( just read your comment at the blog of Zoya's mama )
    My husband and i thought of her as being Rebecca, because she is a love from a far just like Rebecca being Izaak's love from a far...
    Well that was just how we talked and dreamed about her...
    i would love to send her a little homecoming gift when the time has come, for now we will check in on your journey towards her, thanking our Almighty Father for you to rescue her!
    Adriana

    ReplyDelete