Tell me what it is you want to do with your one wild and precious life? -mary oliver

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

FreeFall off a Cliff...

As more learn of our adoption plans, we've been asked questions that have no answers at this time.  Does she have...(fill in the blank)?  Does she.....(fill in the blank)?  What do you know...?

What we do know is limited...  she turned 3 in October, she has chestnut hair and chocolate eyes, she has Down syndrome, and she is in Eastern Europe.  A Reece's Rainbow family adopted children from her orphanage, and were able to give us a few pictures of Sarah dressed up in a spectacular, red tutu for a Children's Day program in her country.  We do know she is in a very big orphanage in a big city, which is good and sad at the same time.  Good, because they have access to many resources, and sad because there are so many young lives needing homes.

That's it.  No more, no less:(

We had long conversations before committing, questioned one another, knowing full well our lives would be changed for the better.  We were being led separately towards adoption before we came together.  Different forks in the road, meeting in one unified path. We truly will not have any answers to our questions until we travel.  It's uncomfortable, not knowing.  It's downright hard.   But, we're at peace with the unknown.   It's our Leap of Faith.  A Downright  Freefall off a Cliff...


"Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be able to treat life as art; to bring all our energies to each encounter, to remain flexible enough to notice and admit when what we expected to happen did not happen.
 
We do know she will thrive when she comes home.  We do know she will never go to bed without a kiss, hugs, and goodnight prayers.  We do know she will never go hungry, and she will have things that are Sarah's and Sarah's only.  We do know she will be loved, cherished, and celebrated daily.  We do know we are meant to be her forever family.

We do know She is LOVED...

 I found this quote from a catalog today: 
It is what it is, but it will become what we make it.


WOW...what a punch!!!


Then, I went to Kelle Hampton's blog and BAMMM...exactly how I've been feeling this week. 
Gearing up for conferences and gradecards, wishing for more adoption paperwork to come through, the holidays approaching and all that comes with it,  my cluttered house that looks like a hurricane tore through it this week, feeling I'm barely keeping my head above water, 

then I think of Sarah, oceans away, alone;

...sometimes the unknowns do grip me for a moment...

I can't change what is, but I can change what it will become...


Embracing my journey, Shelly

3 comments:

  1. We need a "like" button for blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you differentiated between what you do know and what you don't know about Sarah. Very touching! She has no idea how wonderfully her life is going to change VERY SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've decided I've been a blog "lurker" way too long! I fell in love with your new daughter a while ago and have been praying for her to find a family. Reading this post I am so comforted in knowing how loved she is. I think you are so right - it's not about what is...it's about what is going to be. She will be loved...she is loved...and that's everything.

    ReplyDelete